I love these tasty little treats. They are the perfect combination of chocolate, coconut and almond. And… they are gluten-free!
They come together really quickly as well.
Chocolate, Coconut, Almond Macaroons
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 5 cups of unsweetened coconut, medium shred
- 1 cup of ground almonds/almond meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat on the stove, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly and heat until all the sugar dissolves.
- In a large bowl combine coconut, ground almonds and salt. Pour the heated sugar mixture overtop and mix thoroughly. Add in egg whites and vanilla extract.
- Using a metal scoop, scoop portions of the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silpat sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. They should get a little brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies set up until completely cool. Don’t remove from the sheet right away – they are very fragile while warm.
- Once the cookies are cool, in a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate and coconut oil. I heat using 25 second increments until the chocolate is completely melted. Dip the cookies in the chocolate to cover the bottom, or drizzle over the cookies. Place in the fridge until the chocolate is set up.