This is one of the many recipes passed down from my Mom. Such a simple recipe but so tasty!
One Christmas, years ago when I still lived at home, my Mom gave me a binder filled with all her favourite family recipes. Each page individually typed (yes, typed – this was before we owned a computer – and please don’t count back the years on me), and put into plastic page protectors.
Many, many years later, I still have this binder of recipes and refer to it quite often.
After my Grandma Sharp passed away, my Mom took all of Grandma’s recipes and created another binder for me.
And then when my Grandma Jean passed away a few years after that, my Mom made me a third binder.
So many cherished memories in all these books. I’m working on something right now that I hope will honour how much I treasure these family recipes. But more on that another time.
Till then, my Mom’s taco salad dip!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package cream cheese (250g)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- guacamole (optional)
- lettuce, shredded
- tomato (or two), diced
- green onions (two or three), chopped
- 1 cup Bothwell medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine sour cream and cream cheese. Mix on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Once this mixture is fully combined and there are no lumps, add in taco seasoning. I usually only use half a package.
- Find yourself a serving container. The one I usually use is about 8 x 13 and fairly shallow.
- Spread the cream cheese/sour cream mixture evenly on the bottom of the serving container.
- Layer the guacamole on top.
- Then layer on the lettuce, tomato and green onion. And finally top with the cheddar cheese.
- You can serve right away or refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pita triangles and/or veggies.